Saturday, November 7, 2009

THE TYRANNY OF GRAMMAR

For all of my adult life, I considered the early Beatles daring pioneers in matters erotick, mainly due to their 1964 song If I Fell.

The other night we were taking A Hard Day's Night for a spin, and I mentioned my admiration for the song to sultry S. After she picked herself up off the floor (laughing), she pointed out that only an immigrant like me (for "immigrant" read: "dork") would interpret a lyric such as:
If I give my heart to you
I must be sure
From the very start
That you would love me more than her
as a depiction of a steamy bisexual love triangle, solely on the basis of McCartney's faulty use of prescriptive grammar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

…or on the basis of his own biographie?
Only an immigrant who is (a) very intelligent or (b) very deep or (c) very sensitive or (d) very gay or (e) a bit of bisexual - would interpret a lyric like that?
Not to offend you, I’m really interested in - could it be that you have a little fixation on sex – and if so, why? What may have happened to you? You wouldn’t tell me and perhaps nothing had happened to you - I’m aware of. And this is not my cup of tea - I'm aware of. May I nevertheless call it the Tyranny of sex?
I think, love and sex seldom come together (perhaps at the beginning of a love-story). In my opinion these two are mostly independent of one another. Not two sides of the same coin, two totally different coins - but I may be wrong here. Am I?