Sunday, June 13, 2010

BUILDING ON RUINS

Another embarrassingly nice review, the lead review of the last Le Monde in fact, by Paul Benkimoun.

It's always interesting to see how the novel travels -- the Germans seemed to not know what to do with it, the Brits read it as an intellectual thriller with too much sex, the Americans ignored it by tradition (foreign fiction by an independent)? c'm'n!), but the French seem to embrace the whole hog. For which I salute them -- it's a mighty beast, with a reek to match.

2 comments:

jacques said...

Dear Sir

I've read about your book thanks to "Le Monde" ..I just wonder i should read it in Dutch (I can survive but I am far from fluent) in English (which is decent) or in French (moedertal). I am ok with quantum physics, cosmology and all these niceties ( after all Chanoine Lemaître is also a Belgian!)

By the way, the following link spells your name incorrectly. I Wonder if you are going to sell any books in belgium... Nul n'est prophète en son pays!

http://www.proxis.be/BEFR/Product/Livres/Omega-Minor-Verehagen-Paul-9782749113470/6842941__detail.aspx

Warm regards Jacques Houard

Paul Verhaeghen said...

In that case, I would suggest French -- Claro did a truly amazing job with the translation (he's closer to the original Dutch than my English is, and he doesn't even know Dutch).